The GPS Me Home Team is dedicated toward making your adventurous lifestyle safer.
If you are new to hiking or are an experienced trekker, we want to make your journey one that will bring fond memories so we've compiled a short list of tips as a reminder before you venture out into the wilderness or conquer that ridge in the distance.
1. How far do you plan on hiking in and out? Pre-planning can be extremely helpful.
2. Did you plan to go alone, with a friend or with a group? Plan accordingly!
3. Make your first adventure an easy one. Don't over do it and regret it! Take it easy!
4. Select your destination carefully. Map your path in and out. Stay on trails.
5. Dress properly. Layers is the recommended method. Some like to wear those
convertable pants where you can zip off the bottom pant legs if you get too warm.
Good boots are eccential for sturdyness and balance. Headgear for protection from
the sun. Rain gear and/or an insulated jacket. Don't forget your shades!
6. Pack WHAT? You'll want a decent BackPack to carry your must have's such as a
fully charged mobile device, GPS with maps, we like to have a backup battery pack,
just in case, camera, compass, knife, firstaid kit, firestarter, sunscreen,etc.
7. Look for the Heights! Conquer those hills ahead of you. Use the ball of your feet when
descending to keep from cramping up.
8. Eat light! Nuts, grain, fruit, bread with spread if you need more. Get hydrated days
before your hike so you don't require carrying heavy liquid. Use a filter system in a
clean stream if needed.
9. Keep it Clean! Leave the forest cleaner than you found it.
10. Check for ticks once in a while.
BE SAFE! The GPS Me Home Team